Lesson 1: “Lord, to Whom Shall We Go?”
We turn toward God to answer the most fundamental questions of life: Who am I? Why am I here? What was I created to do? Where am I going? By following Jesus, listening to him in prayer and in the teachings of the Church, we encounter much more than just an ideal, we encounter a Person.
1. Do you ever look up to God and ask, “Why am I here?” Has he revealed an answer to you? If so, would you be willing to share?
2. When was the first time you thought about what you wanted to do/who you wanted to be “when you grew up?” What did you want to be/are thinking about being/doing?
3. Who is the first person you go to when you have challenges in your life? Your mom, dad, priest, friends?
4. St. Gregory of Nazianzus said: “We must remember God more often that we draw breath” (CCC 2697). Do you remember to pray as often as you draw breath?
5. Do you want to be a saint?
“The whole science of the saints consists in knowing and following the will of God.” – St. Isidore of Seville
Additional Resources for Lesson 1:
Discernment: Making Inspired Choices by Joe Paprocki, D.Min.
What is God’s Will and Desire For My Life? by By Bart Schuchts
What Is God’s Will for Me? by Joseph Pronechen
The Power of Prayer by Ascension Presents, featuring Fr. Mike Schmitz
Bishop Barron on Creation by Bishop Robert Barron
“Who Am I?” – Discovering Your True Identity by Recognizing Jesus by Catholic Link, featuring Fr. Ian VanHeusen
The St. Philip Institute recommends these other supplemental resources.