Lesson 10: “Christ is the True Priest”
The heart of worship is sacrifice, as has been attested to through the ages; and at the heart of sacrifice is the one who offers the sacrifice, the priest. The Church teaches that every priest participates in the “one priesthood of Christ,” and this means that every priest is ordained to offer sacrifice on behalf of and for the people of God. This he does not do on his own authority, or by his own power, but by the grace of Christ given to him in his priesthood.
1. How often do you think the priest should offer Mass? Why?
2. Do you approach the Mass with a mind to offer the Lord your whole self? How can you do this?
3. Have you ever considered the priest as “another Christ”? Explain.
4. Do you see the priest as someone who is happy?
5. Have you ever felt the urge to preach Christ? When, where? Did you?
“The priesthood is the love of the heart of Jesus. When you see a priest, think of our Lord Jesus Christ.” -St. John Vianney
Additional Resources for Lesson 10:
Jesus Christ the Great High Priest by Messages of Christ
What is Priesthood? by Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s
Jesus: Prophet, Priest, and King by Loyola Press
The Biblical Blueprint for the Priesthood by Karlo Broussard
The Priesthood: A Sacrifice Pleasing to God by HM Television, featuring Fr. Shane
Priesthood – Jesus the eternal High Priest by Archdiocese of Bombay
The St. Philip Institute recommends these other supplemental resources.