Lesson 9: “How Are They to Believe?”
The teaching of Christ was entrusted to his apostles, and since the time of Pentecost the Church has seen the sacred duty of preaching and teaching as uniquely part of the priesthood. All Christians are called to teach by their witness of life and their words. The priest, who acts in persona Christi in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, is given the unique responsibility of teaching the Christian faith through preaching the homily and teaching the essential doctrines of the Faith.
1. What is the most memorable homily or speech you ever heard?
2. How do you approach the homily when you come to Mass?
3. Have you ever considered how a priest prepares for a homily?
4. How would you? If you could give your priest any advice about preaching, what would it be?
5. Have you ever felt the urge to preach Christ? When, where? Did you?
“Modern man listens more willingly to witnesses than to teachers, and if he does listen to teachers, it is because they are witnesses.” -Pope St. Paul IV
Additional Resources for Lesson 9:
The St. Philip Institute recommends these other supplemental resources.